What is Otsukai？
Named after the Japanese word for 'errand', Otsukai is a service that helps you get hold of Japan-exclusive items! Instead of browsing through a catalog of items and buying what is available, you instead make a request for the items you are looking for. Our Japanese users will take a look at the request and search for it for you! If they find the item or something else they thing you may like, they will calculate all the costs including shipping and make you an offer. The price you see is the price you pay. All you have to do is choose the offer which works best for you and the Japanese user will purchase and ship the item to you.
Requesting an Item
When you place a request for the items you want to buy, a Friend living in Japan will search for it. If they can find it, they will make you an offer to buy it on your behalf.
STEP 1: Place a request
Let Otsukai Friends know what items you want. Just sign up, log in and click on 'Request an item'! Just fill in the details or what you are looking for and your Request will be published on Otsukai. You can be very specific or quite open, depending on your needs!
You can also find the item request page here:
STEP 2: Wait for a Friend in Japan to make an offer
All you have to do now that you have placed a request is to wait for a Friend living in Japan to make an offer. You can manage your requests from ‘My page’ (which you can access by clicking the icon in the upper right corner). The Friend can make an offer to send either brand new or secondhand items. You can read more about how offers work here: https://otsukaimangatokyo.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/35000043518-03-managing-your-requests-and-offers
STEP 3: Accept the best offer
Choose the Friend that you feel has made the best offer and satisfies your conditions and send this specific Friend on an errand. Choose the requested item from ‘Requested items’ list on My Page, visit the item’s detail page and click on ‘Confirm this offer’.
STEP 4: Make payment
After you click on the button ‘Confirm this offer.’ you will be shown the details as confirmation. Click on ‘Submit’ in order to pay for the items. You will then be redirected to PayPal’s payment page.
* Please follow the instructions on PayPal.
STEP 5: Receive your item
You will receive a notification when the Friend has sent your items. You can see the order details on My Page’s ‘Requested items’ by clicking on the correct item.
STEP 6: Mark your item as arrive and rate the Friend
Let us know that your item has arrived safely by logging into Otsukai and marking the Friend as either 'good' or 'bad'.
Before You Start
Please be be careful to familiarize yourself with the following points before you use Otsukai. Happy requesting!
Request on Otsukai MUST be in Japanese, English or a mixture of both. Requests made in any other language will be deleted without notice.
We only currently accept payment via PayPal. All payments are calculated in United States Dollars. After confirming the Friend’s offer you will be redirected to the PayPal page. PayPal is a safe way of completing transactions because of its secure and encrypted website and buyer’s protection. Read more about PayPal at https://www.paypal.com/
You, the user, make payment to Otsukai when you accept the offer. We keep this money safe until your item arrives, then we will send it to the Friend who sent you the items.
Please note that the price your Friends offer you include a 10% system charge. By paying with PayPal another 8% currency conversion charge will be added on top of shipping costs etc. Therefore, the price that the Friend offers you is the final price you pay.
Regarding Customs Charges
It is possible that your items may be held by customs in your country for some days or longer due to tax inspection. Depending on your country, you may have to pay duty on your items. Please understand that neither Otsukai nor the Friend are responsible for any extra charges.
Regarding Restricted Items
Some items may be prohibited. You can see a list of those items here: https://otsukaimangatokyo.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/35000045986-list-of-items-prohibited-or-restricted-to-import
Please also be aware that there may be additionally restrictions depending on your country. Otsukai take no responsibility if you order something that cannot be imported into your country.
Regarding Cancellations and Returns
You can not cancel your requests after payment. Please very carefully check the details of your Request and offer before you make any payments.
Items cannot be returned.
- Please check the FAQ if you have any problems. You can find the FAQ button at the end of the Otsukai page or at the following link https://otsukaimangatokyo.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/35000185311
- Is your question not listed? Please create a ticket over at the Otsukai support center and we will get back to you as soon as possible: https://otsukaimangatokyo.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
- Please be very careful to make sure you enter a valid email address when you create a ticket, or we may not be able to get back to you.
- Although you are free to send us a ticket at anytime, Otsukai can only respond during office hours, which are 09:00 - 18:00 (JST) Mon-Fri (excluding national holidays).
- Please understand that Otsukai is not responsible for products which are defected, in bad condition, are missing parts, did not arrive, are part of a scam, damaged in transit, etc.
- No returns, exchanges, refunds or cancellations can be made after payment, except in certain circumstances.
- Otsukai can not be held responsible for items that are confiscated or disposed of after customs inspections.
- We do not provide any information, guarantee / warranty or support for items purchased via Otsukai.
Are you ready to request an item? Go on and do it here: https://otsukai.manga.tokyo/item/create